Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Achilles in Love


Achilles in Love

For all the doubters out there, it is very clear in the Iliad that Achilles loved Briseis.  There several instances where Achilles has shown how much he cares for her.  In Book 1 Achilles cries for her to his mother over her being taken by Agamemnon.  Then in Book 9, though only mentioned briefly Achilles says he loves her:

“Every decent, sane man loves his woman and cares for her, as I did, loved her from my heart.  It doesn’t matter that I won her with my spear.  He took her, took her right out of my hands, cheated me, and now he thinks he’s going to win me back?  He can forget it.” (Iliad 9.349-355). 

The reason he wouldn’t forgive Agamemnon is because of his pride that was slighted when she was taken.  There were only a few days between the time Briseis was taken and when Agamemnon made his proposal.  This is clearly not enough time for Achilles to get over the loss of his beloved Briseis.  She represented something he has always wanted: “I’ve always wanted to take a wife there, a woman to have and to hold, someone with whom I can enjoy all the goods old Peleus has won” (Il. 9.412-414).  This is his true objective in his life which is why he wanted to go back home and live long.

No comments:

Post a Comment