Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Deadly Duo


The Deadly Duo

Patroclus could’ve killed Hector in Book 16.  Instead we have interference of Apollo who strips his armor allowing Patroclus to be killed by Hector.  But then we see that Achilles made short work of Hector:

“A gleam in the air as Achilles poised his spear with murderous aim at Hector…The heavy bronze apex Pierced the soft neck but did not slit the windpipe, so that Hector could speak still” (Iliad 22.350-361).

Achilles is a much better fighter then of all the people in the Iliad.  Since Hector could apparently kill any Greek and was the best Trojans: “They are defended by me, by Hector, by my horses and my spear.  I am the one Troy’s best, who keeps their doom at bay” (Il. 16.873-875).  We also see that had it not been for Apollo, Patroclus may be better than Hector also: “If they hadn’t knocked off my armor, I could have made mincemeat of twenty like you” (Il. 16.887-888).  This clearly shows us the skill levels of the three of them.  Therefore I conclude that Achilles and Patroclus had the skill to take down Troy just as they discussed earlier in the Iliad.  Together no one in the Iliad could stop them besides the gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment