Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My reaction to the Auden’s the shield of Achilles

The poem The Shield of Achilles by W. H. Auden is interesting because I have read it a few times for my final paper and overtime my views of this poem have changed.  After I first read it I had mostly thought of it as a view from someone looking at the shield at Troy and commenting on how they didn't see any of that in the world that they live in.  This was mainly because I imagined from the second paragraph that they were looking at the shield and describing it in relation to what the world looks like.  But after discussing in class it is clear that there is a broader scope to the poem.  It also helped to learn a little about Auden’s background which helped to clarify the world that he was comparing the shield to.  After looking at the poem this way it was interesting to think that a small war like the Trojan War couldn't happen in the modern world because of the connections that we have.  In modern time a small conflict would erupt into a massive world war because of the fact that we work and communicate with people around the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment