Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Transformation of Epic Heroes


As this is my first blog post, I have to mention my lack of experience with the studies of classical works. I have taken Latin for four years in high school but was only exposed to classical literature through excerpts or something of that nature. The first work we are introduced to in Homeric Iliad is the epic Gilgamesh. I believe in class we touched on the paradox of the characterization of Gilgamesh. I want to expand on this as well as other topics a bit further because it is interesting to note how Enkidu is referred to Gilgamesh’s companion prior to his meeting with Gilgamesh. I think this is meant to be interpreted as a kind of foreshadowing of the two characters. From this we get an imagery of the two characters as being in love, or, at least, the fellowship or union of the two. This is evident in the morning after Enkidu’s death, when Gilgamesh mourns for his loss. Gilgamesh seems to have transformed throughout the epic. He transforms into a kind of Enkidu, as if he takes on some of Enkidu’s personality. His union with Enkidu brings about a more sincere and forgiving character. Perhaps this is a good transition for delving into the story in the Iliad since there might be references we can draw from the transformation of Gilgamesh to the transformation of characters in the Iliad. One trait of epic poetry, which I find to be interesting, is the repetition of the introduction of characters. Each character is given a descriptive epithet with each introduction. So, I feel there are going to be similar characteristics in the Iliad.

No comments:

Post a Comment